Leather furnishing is the ultimate addition to any room, sumptuous and classy, it has been a feature with interior decor since time began. Modern leather is well treated and the ideal material for furniture covering, and some say it is like a fine wine, as it gets better with age. In order for leather furniture to retain its condition, it needs regular treatment, and there are a few simple rules to avoid damaging your expensive leather furniture.
- Do Dust and Vacuum – Some people are under the misapprehension that leather furniture can be left as it is, and it will always have that new look about it, but in reality, neglect only leads to faded and worn leather. The vacuum will pull all the food crumbs from the folds and creases, and by using a narrow attachment, you can get into all the nooks and crannies you typically find on leather sofas and armchairs.
- Don’t Let Stains Set – Leather is a hardy covering, and while it is difficult for any stain to penetrate, it could lead to discolouration, therefore it is essential to remove any stain as soon as possible. It is better to blot rather than wipe the stain, as this prevents it from spreading, and by using some thick kitchen roll or tissue, you will be able to remove most of the substance before it does any damage.
- Do Nourish and Condition – Leather furniture needs this on a regular basis, and saddle soap is the ideal substance, as it removes dirt and built up grime, while softening and protecting the leather at the same time. You may not see the immediate benefits of your efforts, but over time, your furniture will retain its clean look and will last much longer.
- Don’t Neglect your Leather – Children and pets can soon cause scratches and deep marks, and in this environment, the leather should be wiped down daily with a damp cotton cloth. There are products you can apply that seal the leather, and if this is done every few months, the furniture will stand up to the rigours of family life a lot better.
- Do Consult the Professionals – Leather furniture is never cheap, and with such an investment, it makes sense to consult the experts. If possible, talk to the company that supplied the furniture, as they would know how to maintain it. If you are in Western Australia, and are looking for a new 3 piece suite, consider furniture in Perth from Webber Furniture, with the best range of leather and Scandinavian furniture at affordable prices.
- Don’t Allow Strong Sunlight to penetrate the leather, as this will surely cause discolouration and fading. Suitable blinds or curtains can protect your leather furniture during those sunny afternoons, and this will prolong the life significantly.
Treating leather furniture correctly will help to retain that clean and shiny look, and your living room will also be odour free and more hygienic for the family.